Monday, December 29, 2008

Burning Money

It's 11.55 pm and I'm still awake. Blame it on the blasted firecrackers that are blasting at the moment. Firecrackers is such an entrenched part of celebrating new year here in Manila and in many parts of the Philippines. It's a celebration that begins several days before New Year's eve. For the past days, exploding firecrackers intrude on people like me who prefer to go to bed at 8 pm and rise early.

Last night I was fuming mad for the same reason and wished these people who like to burn money ought to do it inside their homes and blast their eardrums. And not disturb people like me who are violently opposed to firecrackers which kill people, burn down houses and tear the ozone layer.

Firecrackers cost a lot of money, and here in my country, exploding firecrackers is burning precious money which millions of Filipinos don't have much of these days. Many families are going hungry.

After ranting like this, I'll try to get some sleep...

2 comments:

PinoyXfat said...

Abby,

You forgot to factor in the many child laborers exploited by unscrupulous entrepreneurs. Seen pictures of these kids in pyrotechnics sweat shops?

abby villa said...

yes you're right. yes i've seen them and i used to live near bulacan where many of these are located...thanks a lot for your reply to my query on why blog!