Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Musings of a New Wife

What a year 2008 has been! There's no other quite like it.

Being married for a little over a year stretched me considerably- I am just a little wiser now. What little wisdom I've gained I hope I'd keep and the few foibles I've faced up to I pray I'd remember to be less defensive about.

A hearty "Yes" to...

1. Tolerating clutter
(If it's not a threat to life and limb nor a serious deterrent to health, ignore it girl!)

2. Listening to my husband
(...With thoughtful attention whether he's reading poetry to me, ranting about our corrupt president or raving about his site meter)

3. Affirming my hubby and best friend
("You're articulate, an incisive thinker, technologically savvy and can be depended on to help me with our piles of laundry.")

Less of...

Presuming, instead I will ask about what I do not know or understand.

Resenting, instead I will open my mouth and put into words whatever it is that's bothering me.

And of course, how can I forget the one word that for many years I had associated with moral decadence (I am going through quite a paradigm shift here!) - compromise. It fits beautifully into marriage, making us a little more nimble as we stumble through some rough spots.

A happy new year to all! Let's keep on loving and enjoying life...

10 comments:

Aihara Ramintessah Sanchez said...

i love this post abby! we have same plans for hubby.LOL.Just like you,I am new to blogging also and I love to read blogs that are very real and sensible. I like your blog.keep up the good work.Cheers for us-good wives of 2009!*winks

abby villa said...

glad you liked it. we really need to cheer each other on. it's hard work being a good wife, but it's worth it all. and encourage each other too as new bloggers ;>)

The Fitness Diva said...

Just dropping by to wish you a Happy New Year!

Health and success to you in 2009!
Fitness Diva

(I don't know about any free pilates programs, but if you do a search on the net, I'm sure it's out there!)

Book Calendar said...

Have a haypy new year. Remember always resolve to enjoy life. It is something worth doing.

Anonymous said...

You learned all that in just one year of marriage? You go girl!!! It took me many years and 2 marriages.

abby villa said...

hi annie. marital adjustments are like a 3 steps forward, 2 steps backward kind of thing. you know, i've discovered that what i know and practice this moment, i could easily forget in the next and lapse into my bad habits! ha ha sometimes it could be excruciatingly painful :(

mye said...

hi abby - there are still a lot of things you'll discover as you go on with your married life but i hope you'll enjoy it.

i'd like to inform you that there is an award waiting for you...see my site for details

thanks for visiting and commenting on Blog Appetite.

congratulations!

abby villa said...

hi mye. yes, there's so much to learn and discover. it's not only every day, it's like almost every moment there's a discovery. thanks for the award! will check it later. thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

Hi Abby,

Thank you for coming by at Pinaykeypoint Blog :) I also lingered on your posts and I'm glad to find new blogger friends. Keep in touch!!

Juliet

abby villa said...

Hi Juliet!Thanks for staying awhile at my posts."Meeting" bloggers enhances my days ;.)