Saturday, January 3, 2009

Can We Remain Apolitical?

It's so easy to distance ourselves from what's going on around us; we have enough personal troubles to sort through, resolve or accept and live through till it sorts itself out (we hope).

I look at my country:With our top leaders aiming primarily to further entrench themselves in power, enrich themselves with the people's money, we are headed for the dumps.

I look at the rest of the world: Millions starve in Zimbabwe and other countries in Africa and Asia; millions await rehabilitation from previous calamities - earthquakes, typhoons; millions crouch in fear for their lives whether from local rebel groups or foreign troops invading their homeland.

Can we remain apolitical? To bring the question, much closer can I? How much longer can I stay parochial in my concerns?

I read of Israel's air strike on Gaza and killing innocent civilians and the escalating war as Israeli troops move into a ground offensive. The plight of the Palestinians stirs up pity, sympathy, then anger at how warring nations make innocent civilians, including children, fair game.

So what am I do to do?

Me a typically apolitical woman is writing this particular post to protest the war in Gaza. Not because I am pro-Palestinian and anti Jewish.

I am protesting our inhumanity to fellow humans.

I want my voice to be heard and be counted as one who wants harmony in the world. I want to move out of my political apathy - speak out and do what little I can to promote harmony where I am. Today.

2 comments:

Nicone said...

Great insights. I'll be back for sure.

abby villa said...

thanks! an advance welcome for your next visit :>}