Thursday, January 29, 2009

What's So Hard About Being a Stay-at-Home Mom?

Can something remotely meaningful emerge out of a 8-hour queue?

Lining up for two successive days at the Social Security System office is not my idea of a meaningful day. But it had to be done. Yesterday I was in line for 3 hours and today it was 8 hours.

Today I met Amy (not her real name), a stay-at-home mom with two boys in grade school - a 10 year old and an eight year old.

Amy recalled how her husband told her that being a housewife is easy. She can do household chores and rest when she needs to. Budgeting is not that difficult as she makes it out to be. Though she vehemently disagreed, Amy kept mum.

Then some months later, her husband lost his job, so Amy had to work, while her hubby stayed at home. He took care of the kids and did the household chores. He also took charge of the budgeting. After a few weeks of being a stay-at-home dad Amy's husband said, "It's so hard staying at home and taking care of the kids. How about resigning from your job and let me work instead?"

What were Amy's thoughts about all these?

"The experience was good for my husband. It gave him a better understanding of what wives do when they're at home...Wives must attend to a lot of things; they have to learn to multitask. Men tend to focus on a single thing- their job."

I wonder what men have to say to Amy's observation, and what other women have to say.

What do you think: Are women more inclined to multitask than men?

11 comments:

Kris said...

tnx for the visit!

we women make housework look easy that's why men think it's easy..boy do we have them fooled! =)

Bruno LoGreco said...

I'm conflicted with multitasking. I cannot multitask and I have read that nobody really could, however, I have seen females multitask and maintain to comprehension for both tasks. ???? Jury is till out.

Nicone said...

Me, I prefer to concentrate on one thing at a time. I never got the gift of being able to multitask, even though I am a woman - and wife, mother, full-time-worker, housekeeper and blogger. :-) When motherhood collide with work or housekeeping I often freak out a little...

Nicone said...

... or a lot!

PinoyXfat said...

It amazes me how people can multitask. It's just beyond me. I've to say in many cases the results are not good, but, okay the job gets done. (Wait, let me exclude multitasking by the wife at home, in case she stumbles upon your site).

abby villa said...

ha ha yes! you must be one well organized woman ;>}i'm newly married and being married made housework really complicated :>((

abby villa said...

Hi Bruno. I'm a woman and I can't multitask. My mother is great at it and for many years, I tried to multitask like her. About 10 years ago I became wiser! ha ha and gave up and accepted the fact that I'm single focused.

abby villa said...

Hi Miss Attica. Thanks for joining in the discusiion! During my first year of marriage, I felt so overwhelmed and tried to multitask but I ended up being stressed out. So am back to being single focused and am much happier ;>}}}

abby villa said...

Hi Pinoy. Thanks for joining in the discussion...Many married women I know multitask and I often think of them as superwomen (mga darna!yong babaeng darna)!I know of some men who multitask but they do it at work or with their work.Oh well, let's celebrate diversity!

Banba said...

I need to multitask. It calms my ADD.

Unknown said...

I'm a married woman who have done full-time job for quite a number of years, completed Masters during this period and at the same time was almost solely responsible for the housework. Comparing outside-home job with stay-at-home job/house work, I think that house work is the most difficult part....it is never ending and unrewarding financially as well as socially. But if you have a loving and supportive family, then everything becomes easy and fun!