Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why Blog???? Or Why Not?!

Being a newbie with blogging and wondering if I am making wise use of my precious time, I did some soul searching: Why do I blog?

Well, I like to write but having a full time job limits my writing to technical writing - reports, project proposals, letters. So blogging stirs have my repressed creativity. Writing anonymously gives me the courage to articulate ideas, convictions, impressions that I would not dare share with strangers one on one. I feel some exhilaration as well in taking this risk like in yesterday's blog when I dared to make some political statement. Quite tepid but a step away from political apathy.

And of course, I get a thrill from having my blogs read and commented on! Who doesn't?! Maybe there are- those who are much more self-contained than the average lot like me.

And lastly, I never realized how enriching blogging can be in terms of getting information in a more personal way, seeing life and the world through a myriad of perspectives and cross-culturally at that!

I wonder about other bloggers, why do they blog? What kind of motivation would prod someone to wrack his brains, bare her soul and expend precious hours blogging? Is there a downside to this?

14 comments:

HEALTH CARE said...

Very good good post

abby villa said...

thanks Aree!

dratiffarid said...

My main aim of posting health articles on my blog is to spread awareness about current health issues.

I work in the medical field and I've seen that people around me are not well informed about health issues. I'm not only talking about diseases, treatment etc. but there are a lot of more practical aspects to it like "Health Rights of a doctor" etc.

I'm planning of making it more user-friendly in the near future. At the moment, it's more like a 1-way communication.

http://dratiffarid.today.com

abby villa said...

thanks a lot for taking time to reply ;>) good observation about your blog. it sounds too technical and making it more user friendly would attract more people. in countries like mine (philippines) health care is not a government priority. even the middle class cannot afford adequate health care or are properly informed about healthy lifestyle. so a user friendly blog on health would be such a big help. go go doc!

abby villa said...

hi. i just added to you to my blog list - my fav blogs :>) i aim to support you in your noble goal

Aihara Ramintessah Sanchez said...

why do i blog?simple sis,I get to analyze myself with the chance to mingle with smart peple like you.i dont think you would have a disadvantage aspect in blogging unless use unwisely.just be yourself and you are about to learn a lot of things.sky is the limit.all under your choice!happy blogging.

Nicone said...

Interesting post Abby.
I post because it sort of keeps me on my toes in my personal processes. Getting feedback from readers is of course a great inspiration. The downside of course would be the time consumption - not all of it feels constructive.

Anonymous said...

Writing is one of my passions...my healing balm...

Blogging is socializing too, you meet friends from all walks of life from different corners of the world with different views and principle. It's great to meet them without having to travel but just thru a click of the mouse.

and lastly, I blog to earn a living :) and to be able to receive $$ in my pajamas with my son on my lap :)

Juliet

Unknown said...

I started blogging to vent out my frustration, but then I started to like it and then I met some very nice people that now are my friends.
So why not blog?
It is better than watching TV!

Bikran said...

well i started blogging just for fun and with time i got addicted to it n now i am so devoted to my blog.It not only helped me share my pictures but also gave me a feeling that directly or indirectly my blog is a contribution to make people know few things about my country.Is not that great?:D

abby villa said...

Hi Pinay!Thanks for the reply to my query on why blog. I'm thinking of putting together the replies i got and present them on my post ;>)

Delighted Scribbler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delighted Scribbler said...

I love comments, too! You're right. I think most, if not all bloggers love comments.

Part if the fun is writing for the sake of writing. Part of the fun is connecting with people we may never have contact with otherwise.

abby villa said...

Hi D Scribbler.Thanks for the reply!